Sports Development Officer & Canoe Polo Coach
Role: Sports Development Officer & Canoe Polo Coach
Location: Various sites, including Let’s Go Hydro (Carryduff) & Ormiston Pool (East Belfast) so candidate must have a full clean driving licence, access to a vehicle and also be able to drive a minibus
Hours of Work: 40 hours per week, variable rota, including evening and weekends
Salary: £40,000 depending on experience
What we are offering:
- Staff training and development
- Great culture with staff fun days
- Staff Uniform and all safety equipment provided
- Free car parking on site
- Staff accommodation available at reduced rates (depending on availability)
- Staff discount on activities including staff cable sessions (off-peak times only)
- Opportunities to progress within the company
Water sports and canoe polo is growing in popularity in Northern Ireland and our aim alongside Belfast Kayak Academy is to train and coach our members to take part in Junior International Championships, and upcoming events hosted at Ormiston Pool and Let’s Go Hydro.
We are recruiting an enthusiastic, dedicated and passionate Sports Development Officer & Canoe Polo Coach to organise, direct and co-ordinate the training and coaching activities and resources required for all paddle sports, including canoeing, kayaking and stand-up paddle boarding and to increase our memberships and promote the programme.
You will coach school children and young adults to compete in upcoming events and championships in canoeing and kayaking, coaching and training our members to be able to compete against the best in the world, training all year round to take part in a world cup or world championship events.
This role will involve working across various sites, as well as being responsible for transporting equipment to necessary venues, and also collecting kids from the schools taking part in the after-school session. Our after school and coaching sessions are in the evenings, from 1800 onwards, and also on a Saturday (1000 – 1300) and Sunday (1100 – 1200) so you must be available to work a varied rota, including day, evening and weekend shifts.
- Organise, direct and co-ordinate the training and coaching activities and resources required for all paddle sports, including canoeing, kayaking and stand-up paddle boarding.
- Coach and train our members to be able to compete against the best in the world, training all year round to take part in a world cup or world championship events.
- Assist in the set up and arrangements for the annual international championships held at Let’s Go Hydro, and also any other Canoe/Kayak event, overseeing these and ensure they run smoothly.
- Organise timetables of activities, and schedule of programmes, ensuring the facilities are kept clean and in good condition.
- Manage the kayak / canoeing programme encompassing a number of schools, running the Belfast Kayak Academy and managing and coordinating activities and coaching at our venues.
- You will be involved in the setup of activities, meeting and greeting of groups and instructing/coaching kayaking & canoeing.
- To increase our memberships and promote the programme.
- Communicate effectively with staff, parents, students, increasing the uptake of the programme through effective working relationships with schools and clubs.
- Responsible for groups of all ages and abilities, ensuring that they have a brilliant time and learn new skills, all while maintaining a safe environment to do so.
- Carry out any related administrative tasks related to the position
- Carry out cleaning of the changing areas and pool areas, ensuring it is well maintained.
- This role will involve working in various sites, as well as being responsible for transporting equipment to necessary venues.
- Responsible for ensuring accidents / incidents are dealt with efficiently and promptly while accurately recording details. Relating all details of incidents to Line Manager when necessary.
- Assist with the safe handling, and storage of equipment required for the activity / class, ensuring appropriate health and safety measures are adhered to.
- Report any defects or damage to equipment or building to appropriate personnel in order to ensure problems are dealt with and do not pose a risk to other employees and/or customers.
- When required, and following adequate training, assist with the safe handling, and storage of equipment required for the activity / class
- Activity days are highly structured as programmes must run on time, however, we do often run other events where the normal routine changes and so you must be adaptable.
A hardworking, flexible attitude is required with a potential to develop further. Training for the role can be provided, however excellent people skills and experience working with young people is essential and you must be enthusiastic and passionate about working outdoors.
- University Degree in Sports Science or similar
- Experience of delivering and assisting with sports-based events
- Excellent communication skills, able to lead and take responsibility as well as being a team player
- Excellent people skills and experience working with young people is essential and you must be enthusiastic and passionate about working outdoors
- Excellent time management, organisational, administrative and budget & project management skills
- A hardworking, flexible attitude is required with the ability to build rapport and trust easily
- Have a flexible customer focused approach with experience in delivering high standards of customer service
- A passion for the development of good club structures and a commitment to the growth of our sport through our club network
- The successful candidate must have a clean full driving license, access to a vehicle and able to drive a mini-bus
- Right to Work in the UK (UK Citizens – Passport or Birth Certificate & NI / All other Citizens – Copy of Sharecode Document)
- Previous experience in sport development or a leisure background including an understanding of leisure services and sport development, coordinating water sports / other sports / football activities
- Canoe Polo / Kayaking qualifications
- Recognised coaching qualifications
- First Aid qualifications
- Experience competing in canoe polo/kayaking competitions at a national and international level
- Training/coaching experience at a high level, experience and ability to train and coach players to compete at world cup events/championships
How to apply
Apply by forwarding your CV via the link below.
Looking forward to hearing from you!
Candidates who are offered employment will be required to produce proof of identification and proof of eligibility to work in the UK.
The successful candidate will be required to undergo a Disclosure & Barring Service Check (DBS)